Project Description

Project Information

Preservation Plan 2012
Emergency Window Restoration Completed January 2013

Foundation Stabilization &
Underpinning Project- Completed June 2015

Roof and Tower
Restoration Project – Completed January 2015

Size- 3500 SF

Year Constructed- 1833

Historic Designation- Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Client

First Presbyterian Church,
New Vernon, NJ

The First Presbyterian Church of New Vernon is located at the intersection of Lee’s Hill and Glen Alpin Roads in New Vernon, NJ.  It was constructed in a modified federal style in 1833 by Master Builder Elijah Hopping.  The exterior of the Church has experienced relatively few alterations since 1833, the most notable of which has been the organ chamber addition built in 1981 at the west end (rear) of the Church.

The project began with a Preservation Plan in 2012 that provided a road map for repairs to the building exterior.  These included the window restoration work, followed by underpinning and rebuilding of the failed foundation walls and finally the replacement of the roofs with new Cedar shakes. Final work is scheduled for 2016-17 which will complete the exterior restoration of the Church. HBA assisted the Church in securing Morris County grants for all phases of this project.