Join Our Team
Full Time Preservation Architect
Historic Building Architects is seeking a historic preservation architect with 3-5 years of experience to assume a Project Manager role, managing complex projects involving National Historic Landmarks and historic sites.
- Demonstrate knowledge of traditional construction details and current building codes including accessibility associated with existing and historic buildings. Demonstrate an understanding of jurisdiction review.
- Be familiar with the Secretary of the Interior Standards for Rehabilitation and project authorization applications through State Historic Preservation Offices.
- Meet the National Park Service Code of Federal Regulations, 36 CFR Part 61 for Historic Architecture- to include at least one year of graduate study in architectural preservation, American architectural history, preservation planning, or closely related field; or at least one year of full-time professional experience on historic preservation projects.
- Must be able to work full time in Trenton New Jersey and be able to travel to projects. (unless WFH due to pandemic, etc.)
- A professional degree in Architecture with a minimum 5 years of professional experience.
- Master’s Degree in Historic Preservation or demonstrated experience in working in historic preservation.
- Architectural Registration preferred.
- Have a high proficiency with AutoCAD and Adobe Suite. Proficiency in Agisoft and SketchUp a plus.
- Experience leading other architects and project teams a plus.
- Work closely with the principal and management team to coordinate multiple active projects with internal team members and consultants; projects may include facade restoration, exterior rehabilitation, historic preservation, forensic investigation, and interior alterations.
- Lead small projects independently as well as collaborate on larger-scale projects as part of a team, balancing demands on multiple projects at various stages of development
- Manage document production including: HABS drawings, with proficiency in AutoCAD.
- Manage Construction Administration, prepare meeting minutes, and field reports, and review applications for payment and change orders.
- Work with HBA’s Material Conservation Laboratory for material analysis investigation.
- Collaborate with project teams to ensure design intent, quality assurance, quality control and best practice standards.
- Assist with consultant communication on projects; proactively initiate potential design solutions that advance the practice of architecture and HBA’s Mission, Vision and Values.
- Lead internal team on documentation through all phases of the project, planning and managing design team efforts to effectively meet deadlines and budgets.
- Demonstrate firm-wide leadership by willingly sharing experience and knowledge with other staff.
- Provide and receive constructive feedback to facilitate continuous improvement in our work.
- Engage in preservation industry groups to develop specialized knowledge.
- The ability and desire to take leadership roles in the office for a variety of assignments, either temporary or permanent.
- Demonstrate ability to communicate with clients and build client relationships and trust.
- Strong mentoring, written and verbal communication and organizational skills.
- This opportunity is a full-time position that – for the foreseeable future – will be located as a remote / home office position. Ideally, and when the restrictions brought about by COVID-19 lift, the position will be based in Trenton, NJ; all applicants should be located within reasonable commuting distance from Trenton or willing to relocate. This position requires some travel to and from project sites, with most projects located in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
Equal Opportunity Employer
- HBA is an equal opportunity employer and as a practice embraces equity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. We offer a competitive salary and benefits structure commensurate with experience. HBA can consider only applicants who are legally authorized to work in the United States and do not require sponsorship.
Compensation and Benefits
- Salaried compensation; type and level of compensation commensurate with experience
- Paid time off and holidays
- Professional development support
- Available medical & vision care insurance
- Retirement plan (401K)
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and work samples demonstrating relevant job experience, self-motivation, excellent graphic skills, and strong communication skills. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title as the subject, and include two reference contacts; attach your resume, and work samples from your portfolio. Please do not call, we will respond to you.
2021 Full Time Preservation Architectural Associate
Join Historic Building Architects LLC, a Trenton, NJ based award-winning firm as a design professional pursuing a professional license in architecture with a strong interest in historic preservation. You will learn about historic preservation architecture, as you strengthen your skills in AutoCAD, Sketch-up, In-Design, Illustrator and Photoshop. As a small firm you will have opportunities to experience working on projects from Schematic Design through to participating in Construction Administration, meeting your IDP requirements. We are looking for a recently (within the past 3 years) graduate student, who has completed a professional degree in architecture, with a focus on historic preservation, or a Masters in Historic Preservation. Material Conservation skills are a plus. Please email Callie Hancock at email@example.com and attach your resume, two references and work samples from your portfolio.