Position: Preservation Architect
Historic Building Architects is seeking a historic preservation registered architect with a minimum of 1 year of post-registration experience to assume a Project Architect role, working on complex projects involving buildings and sites listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places.
Historic Building Architects LLC (HBA)
Historic Building Architects, LLC (HBA) has one central mission: the high-quality restoration and adaptive use of important historic buildings in the public realm. Over the past 25 years, HBA has earned a national reputation for completing significant restoration projects and garnered both National and State Preservation Awards. Key to our success is state-of-the-art historic and scientific research, and innovative yet practical design solutions that respect our environment, cultural heritage, and community. We have built a team of employees and consultants who care about and enjoy preservation work, including our in-house technical staff of preservation architects, designers, and conservators. HBA is committed to creating designs and making repairs that aim to last 100 years, using carefully planned, technically savvy, forward-looking approaches Our projects, which are primarily located in the Northeast, yield cultural, environmental, practical, and economic benefits for the community, and our focus on material science and technology includes a Material Conservation Laboratory and a sUAS used for condition assessment work. HBA is looking for like-minded professionals, who are eager to learn and be part of this expanding team. HBA cares about its employees and recognizes the need for work-life balance; we ask our staff to work a regular 40-hour week and rarely request longer hours.
- Knowledge of traditional construction details and current building codes including accessibility associated with existing and historic buildings. Demonstrate an understanding of jurisdictional reviews.
- Familiarity with the Secretary of the Interior Standards for Rehabilitation and project authorization applications through State Historic Preservation Offices.
- Meet the National Park Service Code of Federal Regulations, 36 CFR Part 61 for Historic Architecture – to include at least one year of graduate study in architectural preservation, American architectural history, preservation planning, or closely related field; or at least one year of full-time professional experience on historic preservation projects in an architect’s office.
- A professional degree in Architecture with a minimum 1 year of professional experience as a licensed Registered Architect.
- Master’s Degree in Historic Preservation is preferred or demonstrated experience in working in historic preservation.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in construction administration work.
- High proficiency with AutoCAD and Adobe Suite. Familiarity with Bluebeam a plus.
- Experience leading other architects and project teams a plus.
- Strong communication skills working with large teams of consultants and clients.
- Work closely with the principal and management team to coordinate multiple active projects with internal team members and consultants; projects may include facade restoration, exterior rehabilitation, forensic investigation, and interior alterations.
- Lead projects independently, balancing demands on multiple projects at various stages of development
- Lead document production, including contract document drawings and project specifications.
- Manage Construction Administration, prepare meeting minutes, and field reports, and review applications for payment and change orders.
- Work with HBA’s Material Conservation Laboratory for material analysis investigation.
- Collaborate with project teams to ensure design intent, quality assurance, quality control and best practice standards.
- Manage consultant communication on projects; proactively initiate potential design solutions that advance the practice of architecture and HBA’s Mission, Vision and Values.
- Lead internal team on documentation through all phases of the project, planning design team efforts to effectively meet deadlines and budgets.
- Demonstrate firm-wide leadership by willingly sharing experience and knowledge with other staff.
- Provide and receive constructive feedback to facilitate continuous improvement in our work.
- Engage in preservation industry groups to develop specialized knowledge.
- The ability and desire to take leadership roles in the office for a variety of assignments, either temporary or permanent.
- Demonstrate ability to communicate with clients and build client relationships and trust.
- Strong mentoring, written and verbal communication and organizational skills.
- This opportunity is a full-time position based in Trenton, NJ; all applicants should be located within reasonable commuting distance from Trenton or willing to relocate. This position requires some travel to and from project sites, with most projects located in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
- Workplace type: hybrid. Employees work from home and in office, with the number of days at each to be mutually agreed upon.
Equal Opportunity Employer
- HBA is an equal opportunity employer and as a practice embraces equity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. We offer a competitive salary and benefits structure commensurate with experience. HBA can consider only applicants who are legally authorized to work in the United States and do not require sponsorship.
Compensation and Benefits
- Salaried compensation range $65,000 – $80,000; compensation commensurate with experience
- Excellent paid time off and holidays
- Professional development support
- Available medical & vision care insurance
- Retirement plan (401K)
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and work samples demonstrating relevant job experience, self-motivation, excellent graphic skills, and strong communication skills. Email [email protected] with the position title as the subject, and include two reference contacts; attach your resume, and work samples from your portfolio. Please do not call, we will respond to you. We encourage you to visit our website at www.hba-llc.com.