Stuart Hall was designed in a polychromatic Romanesque Revival style by William Appleton Potter in 1875. It was constructed as a lecture hall for The Princeton Theological Society in 1876 and is still in use as such today for the Princeton Theological Seminary. Historic Building Architects did a full condition assessment, leading into construction documents for an exterior restoration.
In 2017 HBA began assessing the North elevation of Stuart Hall at Princeton Seminary. HBA used sUAS with ultra-high-definition aerial video to examine the finials, cornices, gables, roof gutters, and windows up close. HBA employed a lift to gather stone and mortar samples for testing in our Architectural Conservation Laboratory. We worked with Non-Destructive Evaluation professionals to locate and assess the anchors within the stone work, and conducted cleaning tests and moisture absorption tests on the polychromatic stone facade.
Upon conclusion of the Investigation Study, HBA completed Construction Documents, assisted the seminary with the Princeton Historic Preservation Commission Review, bidding and negotiation, and is currently concluding Construction Administration.
Construction began in 2019. The project included the restoration and cleaning of masonry, the replacement of the slate roof and recreation of the polychromatic slate pattern and ridge cresting, cornice and gutters based on historic drawing specifications and photographs. Restoration of wood windows and doors. Instillation of waterproofing for the basement and customer designed storm drainage using the existing detention basins. HBA worked closely with the Seminary, the construction managers, the masons, and the quarries to ensure that the new stonework matched the existing stone type and historic design. The result was a reinstatement of William Appleton Potters polychromatic design that honors the 145 years that the building has served the Princeton Theological Seminary Community. Work is in process to be completed in the summer of 2021.