Historic Paint Analysis
HBA’s Material Science Laboratory provides material characterization and analysis that not only assists in a remedial and preventive treatment plan tailored to your structure but also provides a better understanding of the architectural element’s original appearance and basic properties.
Our in-house lab is equipped for a full range of analytical services that can
- Identify building materials, their failings, and how they function in historic building systems
- Identify, match, and replicate historic finishes such as paint schemes
- Evaluate and match historic mortars and stuccos
- Evaluate the movement of moisture and salt deterioration in building materials
- Measure moisture levels in buildings
Our conservators and mobile lab can also conduct
- Water vapor transmission testing
- Cleaning tests
- Open exposure windows through existing finishes to reveal historic paint schemes
All testing and analytical methods comply to the American Society for the Testing of Materials Standards (ASTM) and/or the NORMAL standards.