Saint Francis de Sales
Date of Construction: 1908
Historic Architect: Henry D. Dagit and Rafael Guastavino
Historic Designation: Eligible for Listing on the National Register of Historic Places
Funding: Partners for Sacred Places
Size: 24,000 S.F.
Award: Achievement Award Preservation Alliance of Greater Philadelphia
Client: Saint Francis de Sales
Henry D. Dagit, a leading Philadelphia architect, designed Saint Francis de Sales Roman Catholic Church in 1907, and Rafael Guastavino, the legendary Spanish architect and builder, designed a complex series of domes and vaults. The building is a white marble and terracotta masonry load-bearing structure and all the domes and vaults are constructed with Guastavino tile. This is the last known remaining exposed Guastavino tile dome in the United States and the largest dome is 60’ in diameter and 4” thick at its thinnest point.
Investigation Study & Restoration Work
- Investigation Study
- Multiple Roof Replacement Projects
- Dome Restoration and Structural Stabilization
- Interior Guastavino Chancel Restoration
- Masonry Restoration and Structural Stabilization
- Stained Glass Restoration