Christ Church dates back to the pre-Revolutionary period. As the congregation grew, construction of the church building complex unfolded in distinct phases. In 1773, for example, the stone tower was built and became the highest point in all of New Brunswick, and in 1852 the Church Sanctuary was rebuilt to the designs of Wills and Dudley Architects, who incorporated the original tower and reused stone. Today the church property includes the Choir Building (formerly the Old Parish House, c.1874); the Parish House, (also known as 5 Paterson Street, c. 1897); the Cloister (c. 1920), and the original Tower (1773), one of the oldest structures in the City of New Brunswick.

First selected in 2000, HBA has remained the architects for Christ Church through many phases of work over the ensuing decade. HBA’s first work assignment was to plan for major capital improvements and repairs to the exterior of the buildings over 15-20 years. Since HBA came on board, Christ Church has received several grants from the New Jersey Historic Trust. Restoration work, focused on the exterior envelope, has included new slate roofs for the Parish House and the Church, structural repairs and stabilization of the Tower, masonry repointing, window restoration, site re-grading, and improved drainage. On the interior, HBA has designed a new sloped slate walkway for improved access in the Cloister and new lighting in the Sanctuary.

Christ Church

New Brunswick, NJ

Phases One, Two and Three Exterior Restoration, Preservation Plan, Emergency Stabilization Work