In 1890, publisher Henry Ivison built “Iviswold Castle” (“The Castle”) in Rutherford, NJ for his family. The 25-room mansion, designed by W. H. Miller, had countless decorative features: cylindrical towers, gabled dormers, stained glass windows, clay tile roofs, brownstone walls, ornate interior plaster reliefs, painted friezes, elaborate woodwork, and tiled fireplaces. Many of these features survive today.

In 1997, when Felician College acquired “Iviswold Castle,” it saw the need to restore and preserve this historic structure and so decided to convert it into the Rutherford Campus Center. The college commissioned HBA to prepare a Historic Structure Report. It then asked HBA to undertake an interior selective removal project to expose the original historic fabric concealed by alterations completed in the 1970s. Felician then progressed to the exterior restoration phase, which entailed replacing the complex Ludowici clay tile roof; repairing the structural framing; cleaning, repairing, and repointing the masonry; and restoring the wood-framed stained glass windows and decorative metal staircase railings. The final phase involved the rehabilitation of the 27,000 square feet interior. Interior work involved restoration of the primary historic rooms and creation of new offices, lavatories, conference rooms, and other facilities according to a program developed by HBA. Systems were replaced and woven into the historic structure. HBA coordinated the project—from inception to completion.

Iviswold Castle, Felician College

Rutherford, NJ

Historic Structures Report, Selective Removal Project, Exterior Restoration, Interior Renovation