The brick Quaker Meeting House, constructed in about 1842, has played a significant role in the history and development of Medford, which was founded as a Quaker community in the 1760s. By the mid-1980s the building stood vacant, and in 2008 Medford Township acquired it and selected HBA to prepare a Historic Structure Report and complete a Structural Stabilization and Roof Replacement project. Both projects were funded by New Jersey Historic Trust.

The purpose of the Historic Structure Report was to assess the condition of the building as well as determine how best to convert it into the Medford Arts Center — "MAC." The proposed uses span a broad range: public events such as art and photography exhibits, poetry readings, puppetry, theater, comedy routines, story-telling, and musical performances. To protect the building from further deterioration due to water ingress, a stabilization project was carried out. This included significant roof structural framing repairs and the replacement of the asbestos tile roof with a new cedar shingle roof and related pole gutters as well as repair of the masonry chimneys. The next phase of work will focus on remediating the floor structure, which was severely damaged by termites.

Medford Meeting House

Medford Township, NJ

Historic Structure Report, Structural Stabilization, Roof Replacement